Need Advice: Air fryer? Toaster oven? Microwave?

Welcome to the Islands Forums Island Foodie Forum Need Advice: Air fryer? Toaster oven? Microwave?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Captain Jan.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      tmad99

Hi All! Being rock women, I’m sure you all understand that island life has no room for “uni-taskers”, especially in the kitchen. Everything has to serve multiple purposes or it doesn’t make the cut!! I have a very small 3rd bedroom living space we initially designed for guests, but have mostly been using ourselves while our guests stay in the main living area.

Anyway, I wanted to keep this little living area very simple. (I grudgingly acquiesced to a television.) It does not have a stove- just an induction burner and the outdoor grill. My mate has been bugging me for a microwave, which I have refused. Even the smallest microwave takes up WAY too much space. But now, friends who have stayed in the space tell me it absolutely requires a microwave. Sigh.

In my opinion, this wet-bar area has no room for a such a large single-tasking element like a microwave. I am trying to appease my mate and my guests, but I just can’t bring myself to allocate that much counter space unless this thing does WAY more than heating up leftovers.

I have heard a lot about air fryers lately, and wondered if this could be a good multi-tasker for this little room. If anyone out there has an air fryer, Can it do more than just fry?

Or- can any of you suggest something *else* that could heat leftovers and maybe do a couple other useful tricks? Make toast? Bake cornbread? Boil a cup of water? Maybe give me a massage and tell me I’m pretty? (Haha)

Most other forums would LAUGH at a person that doesn’t have room for a microwave, but I feel like if anyone will “get it”, it will be you all!!!

Also, feel free to tell me if I’m just being a weenie, and need to buy a stupid microwave.

Captain Jan

There is one appliance that I would pick over all others, including a microwave, air fryer (don’t know anything about those) an oven, you name it, and that is a pressure cooker (electric!). I never had a desire for one as we have all heard of them blowing up! But my son gave me one for Christmas so I had to learn to use it! After studying the directions over and over, I finally tried it but stepped far away once it started…OMG it is amazing especially for anyone living on a rock! I live on Long Island in the Bahamas and electricity is very expensive here as I am sure it is on any rock. A pressure cooker cooks food so fast and you can cook almost anything in it. Rice takes about 7 minutes and comes out perfect, you can put FROZEN chicken in it and it takes about 15 minutes. So if you forgot to thaw something out, no problem. Baked potatoes, hard boiled eggs…beef stew, soups, etc. Most have a slow cooker feature too. Some make yogurt, and you can bake cakes in it although I haven’t tried that yet. Sometimes I use mine 3 times a day. You can google recipes for almost anything. I am on my second one, the first one still works but it has a Teflon coating and I wanted stainless steel which I recommend. There are many brands out there and they are probably all good, my current one is a Mealthy, the Instant Pot is very popular…I promise you won’t regret this device! Happy cooking.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Women Who Live On Rocks
      Keep in touch with the tropics!

Keep in touch with the tropics!

Join the community & connect with tens of thousands of island-loving souls. 

Once a week, we send you the latest posts, funniest rock life finds, and more. 

We respect your inbox - you can change your delivery preferences anytime.

Got it! You're all set.

Pin It on Pinterest